This morning activation exercise will stimulate the muscles in your back to help improve your posture and reduce any back pain. Do this first thing in the morning on a flat firm surface. You can also do it several times during day after sitting at your desk, standing in one place or working at the sink in the kitchen. In each of these different situations people often sit with their shoulders rounded forward, stretching the back muscle.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on floor or bed
- Keep knees together and drop to one side
- Tighten one buttocks to bring your hips back and up towards your spine
- Take opposite side shoulder and rotate arm so palm is facing up.
- Pull shoulder blade back and down towards spine
- Repeat on the other side